If you are unable to find the information that you require, please check the 311 knowledge base to see if your matter has been dealt with before. 


Contact List - ML & S - Toronto Animal Services
Coyotes have become a natural part of the urban landscape in Toronto and are an important part of the ecosystem as they control rodent and rabbit populations. They thrive in urban areas because of the abundance of food and shelter available to them. However, residents should always exercise caution around coyotes.
The City of Toronto has a formal "Coyote Response Strategy" (available through Animal Services). The Coyote Response Strategy lays out a sound systematic approach to dealing with coyote problems. It also gives some background on coyote behaviour, what works and what doesn't.

Residents in the City of Toronto who live on or near ravines and forests (typical coyote habitat) should expect to have more coyote sightings during winter months.
Residents can expect to see coyotes more often in winter for the following reasons:

  • It is easier to spot coyotes in parks and ravines in the winter because they are not
    hidden by foliage.
  • Coyotes are wary by nature and are more comfortable roaming in residential neighbourhoods when fewer people are outside.
  • The months of January and February are mating season for coyotes, which means coyotes are more active during this time, making them more visible.

Coyotes may approach pets that are not supervised, especially cats and small dogs. It is always a good idea to keep an eye on your pet while they are outside. It is very unlikely that a coyote will be attracted to a child; however, close supervision of children is also important.
Residents are advised to follow these practical steps that will help to minimize negative encounters with coyotes:
  • Never feed a coyote or any wild animal. Feeding wild animals is detrimental to the community and to the animals themselves.
  • Do not feed domestic pets outside.
  • Ensure all household garbage is inaccessible to animals.
  • Place garbage at the curb the morning of the scheduled pick-up.
  • Consider using green bins instead of composters for food waste.
  • Always supervise pets - keep dogs on a leash and cats indoors or supervised while
  • Remove dense brush and weeds around property to minimize hiding spots for
  • If you encounter a coyote, wave your arms aggressively, make loud noises, and throw
    objects in its direction (but not at it) to scare it away. These actions teach coyotes to
    be afraid of humans and this will minimize conflicts. If these actions do not scare a coyote, back away slowly from the animal. Do not turn your back or attempt to run

To report a coyote that has bitten or attack a human or animal, or a coyote that that is posing a threat to public safety contact 311 to submit a service request for Animal Services to Investigate. If wildlife is causing a risk to safety, contact Toronto Police.
If you see a coyote doing the following, call 311:
  • approaching dogs or people.
  • exploring a home or building far from a large park or open area.
  • limping or staggering or with paralyzed hind legs.
  • acting confused or attacking non-living objects.
  • fighting or attacking pets.

    You should also call 311 if you find an abandoned pup or an injured or sick coyote. When injured, wild animals are frightened and in pain. Always remember, do not handle coyotes!

    For further information on wildlife in the City of Toronto visit here.


If you have an issue related to snow or snow removal then please visit here to submit a service request.

When does the City start plowing?

Did you know that you can see when your road was last plowed? Visit here to view the PlowTO Map.

Did you know that you can see when you road was last plowed? visit here to
When will my sidewalk be plowed?
The City provides mechanical sidewalk snow clearing in most parts of Toronto, however the City is unable to provide this service in certain areas. To view areas where the City is able/unable to plow sidewalks please visit here.

If your sidewalk has high pedestrian volumes, then the sidewalk will be cleared when the snow has stopped, and the accumulation has reached two centimetres. High volume sidewalks are sidewalks on arterial roads, transit routes, near school zones, and around accessibility locations.

If your sidewalk pedestrian has low volumes, then the sidewalk will be cleared when the snow has stopped and the accumulation has reached eight centimetres. Low pedestrian sidewalks are sidewalks on local roads.

Generally it talks approximately 13 hours to clear high and low pedestrian sidewalks after a snowfall.

While every attempt is made to clear all residences on the service within 72 hours, if your sidewalk has not been cleared after 72 hours after the end of the snowfall, please contact 311.

How is the City managing its use of salt during the winter months?

The City is aware of the risks of road salt to the environment and has been enacting improvements to the way salt is transported, stored and used to reduce the amount of salt entering the environment. The reduction in salt use is balanced with the need to keep roads and sidewalks safe for users at a reasonable cost.The City of Toronto has implemented a Salt Management Plan in order to optimize the use of de-icers on Toronto's roads and sidewalks while striving to minimize salt impacts to the environment. You can read the Salt Management Plan here.


If your garbage/recycling/yard waste has not been picked up then please report it here.

To report that a City litter bin is overflowing then it can be reported here.

To request the pick up of hazardous household waste please visit here.

If you are having trouble reporting any of the mentioned issues, then please contact 311.

Find out here when your street is scheduled for waste collection.


To learn more about the City of Toronto's policies towards traffic calming please visit here.

Please visit here find out how to request the installation of traffic claming measures on your street.

Please note that a petition is required for requests for traffic calming to ensure that other residents on your street agree with the installation of traffic calming measures. You can view a template for a petition here.

The process for traffic calming involves:

  • Project initiation
  • Consideration of area-wide impacts
  • Basic road safety/ design review
  • Consultaiton with emergency services and TTC staff
  • Traffic study and technical evaluation
  • Consideration of options
  • Report to Community Council
If traffic calming is technically supportable, the report will seek to:
  • authorize poll
  • authorize road alteration bylaw
  • if traffic calming is not rechnically supportable, then an information report is submitted
  • conduct a formal poll
  • letter/report to proponent on poll results


The City of Toronto Noise By-law prohibits noise at any time that is likely to disturb others.

Construction Noise

  • Monday to Friday between 7:00am and 7:00pm
  • Saturday from 9:00am to 7:00pm
  • Not allowed on Sundays and statutory holidays.
Some construction projects have noise exemption and can work outside of the above mentioned hours.

Municipal work or work undertaken due to emergency situations are exempt from the Noise By-law.


For information on how to obtain a permit for on-street parking please visit here.

To apply for an accessible parking permit please visit the Service Ontario website.

For information on parking exemptions and holder responsibilities for those with accessible parking permits please visit here.


To report parking violations please contact Toronto Police Parking Enforcement.

For immediate parking enforcement assistance (blocked driveway or fire route) please report here.

For ongoing parking issues that do not require immediate assistance please send an email to and include the following:

  • Your name and phone number
  • The address or location where the issue occurs
  • The time of day when this issue most often occurs
  • THe description of any vehicles related to the parking issue.
If someone is parked in a bike lane please contact Toronto Police Parking Enforcement.
The fine for parking a motor vehicle in a bike lake or cycle track has increased from $60 to $150.
To dispute a parking ticket please visit here.


You can report instances of speeding on your street directly to the Toronto Police Service through the Citizen Online Reporting Entry (CORE).


To report minor road damage, potholes, and sidewalk damage, please visit here.


To apply for permits and licenses please visit here.

Some businesses do not require a licence with the City of Toronto, find out more information here. Many other types of businesses are licensed by Service Ontario or by Revenue Canada, more information can be found here.

For driver's licences, plate stickers, health cards, birth certificates are provided by the Province of Ontario. Visit here for more information.

If you are looking to start a business, visit this Government of Canada website for some steps to consider before operating a business in Canada.


For information on viewing or paying your property tax and utility bill please visit here.

Visit here to sign up for e-billing.


Significant trees on private property or City trees are protected under Municipal Code, Chapter 813, known as the Tree Protection By-Law. If you intend to injure or destroy (remove) a protected tree you must obtain a permit. Vist here for move information. To request the pruning of a City tree, the removal of a dead/dying tree, or to request that a new City tree be planted, please submit a request through 311.

If you are having a dispute with your neighbour related to a tree issue, please visit the "Neighbour Disputes (Trees & Leaves)" section of this page.

If you requre more information please contact Urban Forestry.


You can report power outages to Toronto Hydro here.

To report downed power lines or other electrical emergencies, immediately call Toronto Hydro at 416-542-8000 and press option 1 to connect with the emergency dispatch department.

If people or property are at risk, always call 911 first.

If you are moving, have questions about your bill, or if you would like to connect with Toronto Hydro for any reason please visit here.


Neighbour's tree falling on your property – responsibility for clean-up

Should a neighbouring tree fall on your property, the clean up becomes your responsibility. ML&S deals with the tree where it lies. Conflict with your neighbour about the clean up is a civil matter and you can contact your insurance company or a lawyer.

For more information about the bylaws enforced by Municipal Licensing & Standards, visit the section on the City of Toronto website and select your area of interest.

Private property trees – pruning a neighbours tree branches overhanging onto your property

The City of Toronto does not regulate the trimming of trees on private property.

If the tree in question is dead/dying or has dead branches that could be hazardous, Urban Forestry can investigate.

Urban Forestry recommends that you discuss with your neighbour the trimming of a private tree.

There are three main points to remember when dealing with trees on adjacent private property.
1. You cannot trespass onto your neighbour's property.
2. You cannot damage your neighbour's property (in this case a tree); and
3. You have the right to maintain your property in a safe condition.

It is therefore best for property owners to come to an agreement between themselves with respect to trees overhanging property lines.

If you are unable to reach an agreement with your neighbour and want to determine your legal rights, you should contact a lawyer.

The act of pruning trees on neighbouring private property affects private property rights and is a civil issue between property owners.

When a tree on private property is protected under the provisions of the Private Tree Bylaw, pruning of the tree is permitted provided the pruning is in accordance with good arboriocultural standards. Otherwise, a permit would be required to injure or destroy the tree.

A qualified tree expert should always be retained to carry out tree pruning.
Fore more information about the bylaws enforced by the City, please visit here.

Clean-up of leaves on private property

There is no bylaw that stipulates that a homeowner is required to clean up the leaves on their own property or clean up leaves that have blown onto a neighbouring property. You cannot file a complaint against your neighbour in this situation.

If someone uses mechanical means such as a leaf blower or rake to place leaves onto a neighbouring property, it is a civil matter.

For information about filing a complaint about someone raking or blowing leaves onto the roadway visit here.

Shared Driveway Issue?

If a mutual driveway/pathway is in serious direpair and one neighbour refuses to repair the driveway, contact 311 to submit a service request for investigation by Municipal Licensing & Standards.

Any discussion related to "contribution to the cost of repair" is not something that Municipal Licensing & Standards will get involved in.

If the work isn't done within the specified time frame, both parties may be charged or incur inspection fees.

The City does not regulate the existence of mutual driveways.

Mutual driveways are a civil matter, and if you have a dispute with your neighbour rearding its use, you should contact a lawyer.

For more information please visit here.

Boundary Lines - obtaining a survey

Plans or surveys are on file with the survey firms that prepared them. An Ontario Land Surveyor is the only person who can confirm property boundaries.

If you wish to obtain a new survey of your property , contact a licensed Ontario Land Surveyor, many of which are listed in your local business directory or the internet under "Surveyors-Land". There will be a charge for any work they perform.

The City does not provide its surveying services to the public, nor does it have records (copies) of surveys for distribution to the public.

More information can be found here.

Property Line Issues

MPAC propertyline is an online database that provides access to assessment, site, structural and sales data for properties in Ontario.

For more information please visit here.

For contact information please visit here.


For information on basement flooding, please visit here.

If your basement drain is blocked or backed-up, then visit here for more information.

Sewer pipes are owned by you and the City.

  • The part that the City owns runs from the sewermain on the street to the property line.
  • The part that you own runs from the property line into the home.
Visit here for information about pipe leaks and bursts.
If you are experiencing no water or low water pressure, please visit here.

If you are a tenant in a multi-residential building, and are experiencing no water or low water pressure, please report this to your landlord or superintendent.

Did you know that you can view and track your water usage? Visit here for more details.


Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)

To submit concerns or compliments about a TTC service please visit here.

To view schedules, routes, and maps, please visit here.

Every month, the TTC publishes an On-Time departure report for all surface routes, to find out how your route is performing, visit here.

Accessibility on the TTC

The TTC is currently working towards the creation of a barrier-free accessible TTC system. The installation of elevators, accessible doors, updated signage and wayfinding in all subway stations is scheduled to be completed by 2025, with the Etobicoke-Lakeshore subway stations scheduled to be completed:

Old Mill - 2024
Royal York - 2019
Islington - 2025

You can read the 2014-2018 TTC Multi-Year Accessibility Plan here.


The TTC provides a specialized transit service for members of the public who need assistance getting around. For more information visit here.

You can book your trips through the online portal here, or reserve by phone at 416-393-4222.


Metrolinx is an agency of the provincial government.

For information on projects, progress or to contact Metrolinx, please visit the Metrolinx website.


For a list of personalized list of available benefits, including help with child care, employment, housing and living expenses please visit here.

For information on Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) please visit here.
Visit the link for financial support for Renters.

Visit the link for financial support for Homeowners.


Visit here for service requests related to property issues. You can use the link to:

  • Report a temporary sign issue.
  • Report construction noise in a residential area.
  • Report long grass or weeds on private property.
  • Report a business operating illegally from a residence.
  • Report a residence with frequent garage sales.
  • Report a fence problem on private property.
  • Report graffiti on private property.
  • Report an insect or pest infestation on private property.
  • Report waste or dumping on private property.
  • Report a lack of maintenance or disrepair on private property.
  • Report a garbage storage related issue on private property.


For information on Landlord & Tenant Issues please visit the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing website.

Information on Landlord & Tenant Issues can also be found through the Landlord & Tenant Board website.

The Landlord & Tenant Board (LTB) resolves:

  • disputes between residential landlords and tenants.
  • eviction applications filed by non-profit housing co-operatives.
The LTB also provides information about its practices and procedures and the rights and responsibilities of landloards and tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act.


South Etobicoke Community Legal Services provides free legal services to low-income people in the South Etobicoke area.

Legal Aid Ontario
provides legal assistance for low-income people living in Ontario.


Visit here to report litter and graffiti. You can use the link to:

  • Report graffiti on private property.
  • Report graffiti on a City road, sidewalk or bridge.
  • Report graffiti on a street litter bin maintained by the City.
  • Report an overflowing litter bin maintained by the City.
  • Report loose litter on a sidewalk or boulevard.


To get in touch with Toronto Public Health, please visit their website.

For more information on the services that Toronto Public Health performs please visit here.

Visit here for complaints related to a Toronto food establishment.


For questions about Presto, please visit.