Are you ready for a power outage?
Power outages can happen at any time, particularly during severe weather. While winter has been mild so far, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be thinking about getting prepared.
On the second anniversary of the ice storm, Toronto Hydro released a fun video to help you learn about emergency preparedness. The video follows the story of Sara and José as they experience a power outage in the city of Toronto, and shows why it’s important to have an emergency kit put together before there’s a power outage.
Watch the new video here: https://youtu.be/FArYcAUBU9g
More tips for putting together an emergency kit:
- Keep your emergency kit in an easy-to-access location known to all family members
- Check batteries twice a year
- Ensure that you have at least one cell phone or non-cordless telephone
- Have a list of emergency contact numbers nearby
- Don't forget your pets! Have identification on your animals and enough pet food and water in your emergency kit for at least three days
It’s also recommended that you customize your kit to your family – aging parents, young children and pets may require more preparation.
For information during a major outage, Toronto Hydro has a website – OutageTO.com – that can be accessed from any device to get the latest news and updates.